About Me

My photo
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
I am a white African. Contradiction in terms? I think not. Sometimes my blog will be serious; sometimes sad; sometimes irreverent; sometimes witty; always my truth simply written.

Monday, November 1, 2010

One Wish...

For some reason, with Christmas just around the corner again, I got to thinking about what I would ask for if a genie granted me one wish.
• I could ask for world peace
• I could ask for South Africa to be crime-free
• I could ask for an end to world hunger
• I could ask for an end to all disease
• I could ask for education for all
• I could ask for women to rule the world
• I could ask for politicians to fulfil their election promises
• I could ask for orgasm-less sex to control the world population

The list seemed endless.

As I pondered all the weighty issues that the world is confronted with, I felt my shoulders drooping – yes, actually drooping - with the responsibility of making a good wish, even though it is just a wish in theory. I know that a wish has to be very specific or it can go s-o-o-o wrong. In my last job I used to wish that I was anywhere except in my corporate office and ABRACADABRA!!, without even offering me a wish, a genie granted me a medical boarding I didn’t want and I am no longer in that corporate office...

So, based on past experience of wishes coming true, I knew that my wish would have to be a good wish. A wish that would not be wasted. A wish that was specific enough not to be misunderstood. A wish that would not just cause even more problems in the world.

I mulled over the right wish for a long time and then... By jove, I had it!!!
In a moment of absolute clarity and honesty, I realised what my one wish would be. If it was granted it would give such joy.

If a genie granted me one wish I would ask that I, (me, myself, personally) have the only winning ticket for the Powerball jackpot that is drawn in South Africa on 2 November 2010.

Call me shallow, but I have needs. (I also have some fears... Is that wish specific enough... Is there room there for any misunderstanding... Could I get millions of something else by mistake... ) If a genie gave me three wishes I could worry about the problems of the world, but one wish only enough to take care of own needs...

So, if a genie, true to form, grants my wish without even offering me a wish to begin with, I promise you I'm not going to tell a soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment