About Me

My photo
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
I am a white African. Contradiction in terms? I think not. Sometimes my blog will be serious; sometimes sad; sometimes irreverent; sometimes witty; always my truth simply written.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Instant Millionaires

One of the things that amazes me about the South Africa of today, is how many people became virtually ‘instant’ millionaires over the past sixteen years. And I’m not talking about all those lucky lottery winners either.

I know, and hear of, people who have lifestyles that the majority of us can only dream about. I’m not talking comfortably rich people here, I’m talking filthy rich. And I’m talking about a starting base of zero rands in the bank.

This begs the question: Were they simply in the right place, at the right time, or are there some decidedly dubious activities lurking in the shadows? My gut —and the fact that I know a couple of these folk personally— tells me that not everyone has acquired their wealth through legal means and that not enough questions are being asked by those who should investigate. For example, the commercial branch of the South African Police Services. Or the narcotics branch. Or the serious and violent crimes unit. Or…. the list is endless.

I’m not sure of the current statistics, but at one time I heard that only 5% of the world’s population is very wealthy.

Surely I can be forgiven for thinking that most of them live in South Africa…


(All rights reserved.)

3 comments:

  1. We've got our share here in Southern California too.
    And if you've seen some of the movies they get paid to make, you would definitely call them thieves...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is all over the world. People are somehow under the impression that moeny and power makes them greater than everyone else. Bottom line is "we come into the world with nothing and we leave with nothing", except maybe our souls. Being this is the case I think I would rather be poor and humble than rich and powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People seem much the same all over the world, rich or poor, good or evil, religiously inclined or atheist, black or white. I'm rich where it counts, in family and friends, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Incidentally, I have a son studying in South Africa right now. He loves it. My thanks for his experiences there.

    ReplyDelete