About Me

My photo
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
I am a white African. Contradiction in terms? I think not. Sometimes my blog will be serious; sometimes sad; sometimes irreverent; sometimes witty; always my truth simply written.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Commonwealth Games

Today I am a very proud South African.

As I write this, Team South Africa has bagged no less than 10 gold medals in the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi!!! and the competition is only just past the halfway mark. This is no mean achievement considering that a batch of our top athletes dropped out of the Games at the last minute due to injuries.

What soured the entire thing a bit for me is that some people still found it necessary to jump on the racism bandwagon and criticise the fact that the team is not truly representative of the population in South Africa as it has a large percentage of white competitors.

Whatever happened to ‘may the best man/woman win’? Despite what some may think, all these competitors are, indeed, South African citizens and if they are the best the country has to offer I, personally, couldn’t care if the entire team is bright green!

I only clarify my race group in South Africa to illustrate a point when it is necessary e.g. on my blog I think it is necessary to mention it so that readers can understand where I’m coming from.

For the rest I am just a human being, citizen of South Africa.
Congratulations, Team South Africa. You have done us proud!


(All rights reserved.)

No comments:

Post a Comment